(1NB) THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ (Answers) Chapter 2

 
SCARECROW
  CHAPTER TWO: THE SCARECROW       

Page 24 – exercise 1
1 d   2 f   3 a   4 c   5 b   6 e

Page 24 – exercise 2

B, C, E, H













LISTENING
TAPESCRIPT
D: So Scarecrow, is your job very boring?
S: It’s not boring at all. In fact I do a lot of different things. Can you keep a secret?
D: Yes, of course. So what do you do all day?
S: Well, when the farmer leaves in  the morning I always wait for five minutes before I get off my post. I
like reading about what is happening in the news, so I often  read the farmer’s newspaper, The Munchkin Times. After I finish the  newspaper, I sometimes practice the violin, I am learning the play and I love it. It’s such a beautiful musical instrument. Then in the afternoons, I usually go to see some of my friends in the area.
There are lots of scarecrows here, you know.
D: How do you travel around? Do you drive?
S: Oh no I never drive! The farmer has a big tractor, but I don’t like it. It’s too noisy and there’s always a lot of smoke. I usually ride my bicycle.
D: What do you and your friends usually do?
S: Some of my friends like sports, so they often play tennis. I hardly ever play because I don’t really like tennis. I usually play some card games with three or four friends. We can talk at the same time.
D: What about when it is very hot and sunny, do you sunbathe?
S: But Dorothy, I never sunbathe because it is very dangerous for scarecrows. I’m very afraid of it because I don’t want to catch fire.
Page 25 – exercise 3

a always, post
b often, newspaper
c sometimes, violin
d usually, friends
e hardly ever, tennis
f never, dangerous

CYCLONES

Page 27 – exercise 1


a people, animals, cars and houses
b ten to twenty
c Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado
d fifteen to twenty minutes
e from 75 miles to 300 miles per hour
f They help us understand more about cyclones.



Page 28 – exercise 1

1 forest   2 body   3 ax   4 trees                
5 oil can   6 arms   7 love   8 scary                                          
9 teeth   10 tail   11 strong   12 back
13 afraid

TAPESCRIPT

TIN WOODMAN
  Hello, I’m the Tin Woodman! I live in a little house in the forest . I have a tin body and I carry an ax because I cut down trees . I have an oil can, too because I must put oil on my arms and legs. I’m sad because I don’t love anyone.









LION
Hello, I’m the Lion! I live in the forest with other animals. I’m scary because I’m big. I have a big  mouth, long teeth and a long tail . I am very strong and can carry people on my back I make a lot of noise but I don’t bite anyone because I’m afraid!

Page 28 – exercise 2

a back
b tail
c teeth

Page 28 – exercise 3

1 C
   2 A  

Comments