BRITISH AND AMERICAN ENGLISH (2NB)


Exercise  1

Differences from the  2 reading texts:

FLAT - APPARTMENT
FOOTBALL – SOCCER GAME
MOVIE – FILM
CHIPS – FRIES
I’VE ALREADY SEEN IT – I ALREADY VISITED THEM TWICE


Exercise 2

AMERICAN ENGLISH WORDS
1. Pants
2. Side walk
3.      Gray
4.       Fall
5.       Line
6.       Garbage
7.       Math
8.       Gasoline
9.       Vacation
10.   Railroad
11.   Cell phone
12.   Drug store
13.   Airplane
14.   Check
15.   Program
16.   candy
17.   Sneakers
18.   Meter
19.   Elevator
20.   Diaper

Exercise 3


1.       My mom said she’s not going to buy me new sneakers. AE
2.       Summers there are quite warm, but in the autumn it starts getting cold. BE
3.       Don’t eat too much candy – it’s bad for your teeth. AE
4.       Gray is such a sad color – I prefer yellow or orange.  AE
5.       Eating lots of sugar isn’t good for you. BE
6.       You can pay by cheque or credit card. BE
7.       The hotel’s up there on the left, about a hundred meters past that drugstore. AE
8.       The price of petrol is increasing. BE
9.       He knows what’s happening tonight because I already spoke to him. AE
10.   Lots of railways were built in the United States in the 19th century. BE
11.   Paris is a smaller city than London or New York. BE
12.   You shouldn’t really ride your bicycle on the pavement, you know. BE
13.   Do you go to the theatre very often? BE
14.   I don’t know what I’d do without my computer. BE
15.   I don’t know what I’d do without my mobile phone. BE
16.   If you’ve got a baby you’re going to have to buy a lot of nappies. AE
17.   I missed my favorite TV program last night. AM
18.   My worst subject at school was math. AM
19.   There was a queue of about 20 people, all waiting to get in the lift. BE
20.   It’s a really dirty town, with garbage all over the streets. AM



Comments